UOW’s Learning Platform (Moodle) received a significant upgrade in December 2023. It provided a range of improvements to the staff and student experience without the need for significant site redesigns. The upgrade resulted in:
- Improved accessibility
- A more modern look and feel
- More intuitive navigation and user experience
- Workflow efficiencies for staff
- Greater consistency across sites while maintaining flexibility
Feedback received through the Learning Platform Review staff and student surveys and focus groups informed elements of the upgrade.
Overview of changes
There are some exciting new features that present opportunities to improve the way we use the Learning Platform. Expand the section below for a more detailed overview of changes.
Our learning platform moved towards a revised, cleaner layout. Some changes include:
- A revised and customisable Dashboard - control the information you want to see.
- An updated look and feel.
- A new dark mode – as requested by students.
- Updated activity and resource icons with colours that provide an indication of the activity type (e.g., communication, assessment, collaboration, content, etc.).
- The Edit toggle is in the top right corner of the screen.
A streamlined user interface allows you greater visibility of multiple users, groups, or grade items. Bulk actions also allow for greater efficiencies in gradebook actions (such as overrides or exclusions).
The default site format, Topics, will now feature collapsible sections without the need for any additional setup. Sections can be renamed as required to suit your intended design.
New and redesigned visualisations of learning interactions for staff and students are being explored for addition.
The Question bank features new functionality to support collaboration and evaluation including question version history, comments only visible to teaching staff, ‘draft’ status, and updated usage statistics.